Monday, January 7, 2013

My thoughts on Korea and Japan - Blog conclusion

Sorry it took me a few days to finalize the blog. Thank you everyone for following this Japan/Korea travel blog. I'm just going to summarize my thoughts about the trip starting with Korea.

Korea
The nightlife in Gangnam and the food all over Seoul was great. I got to try many delicacies that were delicious, odd, and downright disturbing.

I really enjoyed visiting the Bongeunsa Buddhist temple. The architecture, drum ceremony, and statues were incredible.

The Gyeongbokgung Palace where the Joseon Dynasty lived was impressive. If you have ever seen some Korean soap opera's, you may recognize that the time frame they often use is during the Joseon Dynasty reign.

Visiting the Demilitarized Zone and getting the special tour to the Demarcation Line had the deepest meaning to me since I have family who fought and fled during the Korean war. We got to meet and talk to a North Korean defector who waited until the Han river (river which separates the two Korea's) froze over so she could walk across the ice to the south. It was surreal to step over the demarcation line into North Korea. I also now have a better understanding of the war itself along with the impact the US and UN had on the outcome. The appreciation towards the US was obvious in the shrines and monuments at the War Memorial.

I feel like I have to mention the weather. It was cold! For example, I was told that the last day we were in Korea it had a low of -26 degree's celcius. That is about -14 degree's Fahrenheit! The last day we were there Chris and I walked about 3 miles in the chilly night trying to find our hostel.

Seeing my cousin and his friends was also important to me. Mike, Diane, and all of their other friends took us out on many occasions. The food was delicious! It will definitely be one of my most memorable birthdays/Christmas's.

Japan
I'm going to start this summary off with how impressed I was with the Japanese citizens. The hospitality and helpfulness they showed to us every day we were there was amazing. If you looked confused and were searching through a map in the train station, people would always come up and help you find your way. They would also give you their spot in line if they thought you may miss the next train. I can't recall ever receiving this type of courtesy. Ok, now onto the rest.

The Shinkansen bullet train was very impressive. Not only was it extremely fast (capable of 300km/hr), but it was a smooth and quiet ride as well.

In visiting Hiroshima I am much more aware of how devastating nuclear warfare is. They made it a point to try and identify all the different types of people who were killed in the explosion and after the explosion.

Visiting the Fushimi Inari shrine in Kyoto was memorizing. The giant orange archways that line the mountainous trek was beautiful. I would say this is one of the most memorable experiences I had in Japan.

At the Shibuya crossing was the most amazing NYE celebration I have been a part of. The amount of happy people and the ambiance of being surrounded by huge buildings with tens of thousands of people celebrating together was touching.


That's it for this blog. Thank you again for following along! See you all in February when I head to San Francisco for 3 days!


1 comment:

  1. It was awesome seeing you! Diane says she misses you and Chris a lot! I hope you guys had as much fun as we did taking you guys out at night!

    -Mike

    ReplyDelete